Associate Project Manager - Innovation Ecosystems (Open Rank)
Associate Project Manager - Innovation Ecosystems (Open Rank)Georgia Tech
Atlanta, GA 30332
This position will reside within the Georgia Tech Enterprise Innovation Institute (EI2) and be assigned as an Extension Professional. For more information about EI2 see: https://innovate.gatech.edu/
Georgia Tech Extension Professionals are research personnel assigned to fulfill the extension service mission of Georgia Tech to the State of Georgia and beyond. This mission includes, but is not limited to, technology-based economic development, technology commercialization and deployment, entrepreneurship, start-up company incubation, and business/industry outreach. Extension Professionals also provide educational programs for business and industry in support of these missions through facilitating and fostering increased industrial engagement and sponsorship of applied research activities at Georgia Tech. Extension Professional appointments are based on the merit and special qualifications of the individual and follow the same general ranking, hiring, and promotion principles as other professional research faculty ranks.
The primary office location can/may be in the metro-Atlanta area however, incumbent in this position may be expected to travel state-wide and remain flexible to on-site daily service delivery hours (due to client schedules and/or project requirements).
Serving within the Research Faculty of The Institute, this position directly supports the extension, service, and economic development missions of Georgia Tech to the State of Georgia and beyond. Primarily this position serves within the Innovation Ecosystems department of the Georgia Tech Enterprise Innovation Institute (EI2). Project Managers in this associate level role are responsible for assisting level II and senior level project managers, and above with initiating, conducting, and reporting on projects that promote local, state, regional, national, and international economic development initiatives. This includes, but is not limited to, working with leaders/officials in public and private enterprises, non-profits, governments, and other related organizations. Project Manager Associates are expected to conduct and document research, perform assessments, and provide technical assistance that helps create an attractive business climate. Candidates in this role must be able to report measurable outcomes, as needed, through metric reporting systems required by federal, state, municipal, and/or private sponsors.
This position vacancy is an open rank announcement. Final job offer will be dependent on candidate qualifications in alignment with Research Faculty Extension Professional ranks as outlined in section 3.2.1 of the Georgia Tech Faculty Handbook.
- Develop and maintain an in-depth understanding of the EI2 mission and how it supports Georgia Tech in helping to maintain and improve our reputation.
- Perform project management duties as outlined in the sponsored contracts.
- Assist in the process of coaching, educating, and accelerating entrepreneurs, technology startups, and startup ecosystem members.
- Develop and deliver entrepreneurial educational programming using innovative methods. This will include content development, logistics, training, delivery and program assessment.
- Participate in conducting technology assessments, estimates, grant proposals, and report writing/editing in support of departmental goals/objectives.
- Report measurable outcomes through internal metric reporting systems.
- Contribute to the development of marketing and promotional materials design and content, including website development and maintenance (including utilizing multi-media communications tools like twitter, e-newsletters, blogs, podcasts, etc.). Manage relationships with internal and external media and communications representatives.
- Provide input to the project planning process.
- Contribute, on a limited basis (at a level I), to the development of business proposals.
- Participate in professional development activities (self-study and/or formal classes) as appropriate for the position.
- Participate in identifying, cultivating, and building strategic partnerships that align with Georgia Tech's multidisciplinary research, education, and outreach priorities.
- Perform organizational administrative tasks, and other related duties, as assigned.
Final rank will be determined commensurate with education and experience
Extension Professional I
- Bachelor's Degree in related/relevant field e.g., engineering, science, technology or business administration or related field.
Extension Professional II
- A Master’s degree in Engineering, Business, Marketing, Technology, Mathematics, or related/relevant field and three (3) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of that degree, or
- A Master’s degree in Engineering, Business, Marketing, Technology, Mathematics, or related/relevant field and five (5) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of a Bachelor’s degree, or
- A Doctoral degree in Engineering, Business, Marketing, Technology, Mathematics, or related/relevant field.
- Preferred Education: Master’s Degree in related/relevant field e.g., engineering, science, technology or business administration.
- Preferred Work Experience: Five years job-related work experience. A functional familiarity with university based commercialization and entrepreneurship.
- Preferred Skills: Advanced skills in the use of specialty marketing and educational tools.
- Preferred certifications include: Experience in Lean LaunchPad methodology, NSF I-Corp programming and training.
- Preferred applicant backgrounds include: Extensive experience in consultative service delivery and/or prior experience working in a higher education environment.
Hiring Manager for this Role: Lynne Henkiel (email@example.com)
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Tech provides equal opportunity to all faculty, staff, students, and all other members of the Georgia Tech community, including applicants for admission and/or employment, contractors, volunteers, and participants in institutional programs, activities, or services. Georgia Tech complies with all applicable laws and regulations governing equal opportunity in the workplace and in educational activities. Georgia Tech prohibits discrimination, including discriminatory harassment, on the basis of race, ethnicity, ancestry, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or veteran status in its programs, activities, employment, and admissions. This prohibition applies to faculty, staff, students, and all other members of the Georgia Tech community, including affiliates, invitees, and guests.
Innovation Ecosystems helps governments, communities, foundations, entrepreneurs, and small businesses foster value creation by applying innovative ideas, technology, and policy to initiatives focused on economic growth. Areas of expertise include entrepreneurial ecosystem development, business incubation and commercialization, strategic planning, and economic sustainability. Innovation Ecosystems helps clients make the right decisions to manage growth, create jobs, become more competitive, and increase benefits to the residents they serve. Innovation Ecosystems advances technology-led economic development practices at local, regional, national, and international levels by providing internal expertise and connections to Georgia Tech and other industry partners.
To learn more about EI2 Innovation Ecosystems visit: https://grow.gatech.edu/