Design Engineer, Car Seats
Design Engineer, Car SeatsNewell Brands
Product Development and Design Engineer, Car Seats
The Graco, Century and Baby Jogger brands are market leaders and set the standard in the car seat industry for safety, quality, features, and exceptional longevity and value. Our products are put to the test daily protecting ren in motor vehicle accidents all over the world.
This position will join our new product development group will help drive all aspects of the development process – conception, ideation, design, detailed engineering, tooling, product validation and production start. Our mission is to transform an idea into products on time, on cost, and with exceptional quality of execution. This is a challenging engineering position – our team is staffed with individuals who enjoy solving complex problems.
This position will join one of our project teams (typically 2-4 engineers), partnering closely with peers in project management, marketing, industrial design, usability, and other related disciplines – strong collaboration skills and the ability to flourish in a team environment is required. Some domestic and international travel (less than 10%) will be required.
Design Engineering – 40%
- Partners with industrial designers to ensure safety, product performance and manufacturing needs are met.
- Generates Computer Aided Design (CAD) models of parts and assemblies and uses Computer Aided Engineering (CAE) software to optimize them for production.
- Works with internal and external suppliers to refine the product design and optimize it for manufacturing.
- Uses our state-of-the-art RP capability to build prototypes for evaluation and testing.
Product Engineering – 30%
- Works with peers in marketing, design, usability, quality, and manufacturing to ensure all stakeholder needs are met.
- Supports costing and capital expenditure analysis activities.
- Understands and applies federal, industry and internal standards and ensures products meet safety, compliance and performance requirements.
- Supports tooling development and pre-production sample builds.
Product Validation -30%
- Supports validation test plan development
- Supports pre-production crash testing in both internal and external test labs
- Analyzes test results to understand product performance
- Fabricates prototype samples for testing using basic hand, power and bench tools.
- Bachelor’s Degree in mechanical engineering, mechanical engineering technology, or similar disciplines.
- 2-5 years of product development or product design engineering experience
- Working knowledge of 3D CAD (Creo Preferred)
- Strong working knowledge of mechanical engineering fundamentals: static analysis, dynamic analysis, deformable bodies, mechanism design
- Comfort using basic hand, power and bench tools to fabricate prototypes and modify test samples
- Consumer product development experience
- Design for plastic injection molding experience
- Product validation and verification activities experience
- Working knowledge of FEA software for structural analysis
- Working knowledge of rapid prototyping techniques and applications
Newell Brands (NASDAQ: NWL) is a leading global consumer goods company with a strong portfolio of well-known brands, including Paper Mate, Sharpie, Dymo, EXPO, Parker, Elmers, Coleman, Marmot, Oster, Sunbeam, FoodSaver, Mr. Coffee, Graco, Baby Jogger, NUK, Calphalon, Rubbermaid, Contigo, First Alert, and Yankee Candle. For hundreds of millions of consumers, Newell Brands makes life better every day, where they live, learn, work and play. Newell Brands and its subsidiaries are Equal OpportunityEmployers and comply with applicable employment laws. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled are encouraged to apply.