Referral Specialist - CMA or LVN license required
Referral Specialist - CMA or LVN license requiredGenesis Prime Care
Atlanta, TX 75551
The Referral Specialist is an integral part of the clinic team. Responsibilities include coordinating referral processes for the assigned area of service(s) or provider(s) by preparing referrals and obtaining authorizations and pre-certifications. The Referral Specialist also verifies patient’s benefits and eligibility and may assist patient in obtaining proper paperwork for claims.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Referral Specialist performs the following duties as assigned.
Provides clerical services.
- Coordinates and facilitates referrals according to the process as defined in Referral Specialist training.
- Ensures patients have been cleared for specialty services, as required by provider/insurance.
- Resolves pre-certification, registration and case-related concerns prior to a patient’s appointment.
- Gathers pertinent information from insurance carriers, financial counselors, and other staff to make certain the patient's financial obligations for services provided.
- Follows up with patient to confirm appointment; reschedules if necessary
- Provides support to clinical staff in order to facilitate the administrative components of clinical referrals for various services.
- Acts as a liaison between hospitals, physicians, health plans, vendors, and patients, or other referral sources.
- Verifies insurance coverage and obtains authorizations if needed from insurance coverage.
- Accurately enters referrals and documents communications, actions, and other data in an information system.
- Reports issues, non-compliance or patient no shows to Practice Manager, Supervisor (Coordinator) or Provider
- Answers telephone lines promptly, greets appropriately.
- Handles inquiries when able and/or refers them to appropriate personnel.
- Secures all necessary signatures to facilitate referral.
- Various secretarial duties.
- Verifies insurance benefits and obtains necessary information needed.
Learns all aspects of registration, scheduling, etc and is able to act as a backup Patient Service Representative for optimal efficiency of the office.
- Demonstrates strong initiative to get daily work finished and processed.
- Communicates effectively with patients, physicians, providers and others.
- Demonstrates accurate judgment.
- Notify supervisor of any problems, in a timely manner and works to resolve said issues.
Fulfills administrative duties.
- Assists in maintaining an efficient, safe, secure, orderly, and aseptic environment of care for all patients and employees.
- Is familiar with and abides by OSHA Standards, Hazardous Materials, Universal Precautions, use of personal protective equipment, Evacuation, Fire, Disaster, and Safety Plans.
- If bilingual, translates in Spanish between non-Spanish speaking staff and Spanish speaking patients as requested.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- May act as a back up to nursing staff and perform patient care duties within the scope of his or her license.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of protocols in general and an ability to quickly gain specific knowledge of the Clinic’s current operational protocols
- Knowledge of medical terminology and appropriate abbreviations
- Ability to read and comprehend short correspondence, and memos
- Ability to document, with clarity, all information relevant to a patient’s needs
- Ability to effectively present information in small group situations to patients, Clinic staff, and the general public.
- Ability to work cooperatively with community agency personnel to coordinate services for patients
- Ability to use office equipment including but not limited to computers, fax machines, telephones and copiers
- Ability to prioritize and allocate resources
- Spanish speaking and writing skills
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma
- LVN or CMA license
- One (1) year of practice experience in a clinic office setting.
Schedule: Monday-Friday 8am-5pm; Rotating Saturday clinic doing patient care 8am-12pm.