Organizer, Just Energy
Organizer, Just EnergyPartnership for Southern Equity, Inc.
Atlanta, GA 30308
Job Type- Full-time
The Partnership for Southern Equity (PSE) advances policies and institutional actions that promote racial equity and shared prosperity for all in the growth of metropolitan Atlanta and the American South. We have grown our resources to support an operation of four key issue areas; Just Energy (JE), Just Growth (JG), Just Health (JH), and Just Opportunity (JO).
This primarily remote position will require mandatory on-site days in our offices located in downtown Atlanta, Georgia. Meetings with PSE's Vice President of Strategy and Engagement and Just Energy Director are held frequently. The Just Energy Organizer is responsible for alignment with and support of PSE's Just Energy initiatives focused on convening community members, advocates, and technical experts to vision more racially equitable energy, utility and climate policy and co-create clean energy solutions that benefit everyone.
The Partnership for Southern Equity, as an organization, has experienced an aggressive growth trajectory in terms of staffing, organizational development, and strategic impact. The Just Energy Organizer will play a key role in our statewide expansion, visibility, and impact.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop relationships with residents and other community stakeholders and deliver community-based activities
- Develop relationships with partner organizations and a diverse group of coalitions and allies with a focus on racial equity, energy, and utility policy and advocacy
- Mobilize residents and community-based organizations around energy and utility justice actions
- Develop and execute organizing strategy and work plan around Just Energy goals
- Deliver strategic planning assistance; facilitate power analysis with residents and other community stakeholders to build power at the local level
- Engage in base building and experimental work around different types of new constituencies
- Execute digital organizing approaches to work towards stronger partner engagement
- Understand the political realities of priority communities including working with city, county, and state leaders
- Provide organizing support for other PSE activities as needed
- Participate in PSE staff meetings, retreats, and community meetings
- Always represent PSE in a professional manner
- Provide timely administrative duties (quality meeting notes) for all community meetings
- Commit to timely submission of all reports (timesheets/invoices) and all fiscal and personnel policies and requests
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Vice President of Strategy and Engagement and/or the Just Energy Director
- This job has no supervisory responsibilities
- Minimum of 2 to 5 years of experience in community organizing and in implementing local, state or national policy initiatives on racial equity and/or poverty issues
- Fundamental understanding of race, structural racism and racial equity
- Experienced in community organizing training including basic principles of community organizing, development of leaders and organizations in an organizing context, issues, and campaign development, training new organizers and leadership development
- Familiarity with and openness to different approaches to grassroots organizing and policy work
- Understanding of issue identification and public policy development and implementation
- Strong people skills, facilitation, relationship building and asset mapping
- Expert volunteer team builder with the ability to build strong relationships quickly, including with staff, funders, and external allies and partners
- Ability to work democratically and effectively with diverse groups and people
- Willing to work long, flexible hours including nights and weekends and to travel extensively at times
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills, including public speaking
- Strong team player, familiar with team dynamics and willing to work in a team environment
- Strong commitment to racial equity, social justice and systems change
- Strong commitment to equity, climate justice and inclusion
- Ability to develop work plans, set performance goals and implement process improvements
- Ability to exercise good judgment under pressure
- Strategic thinker who can analyze data, consider various plans of action, forecast outcomes, and make sound decisions
- Problem-solver who can assess situations, gather relevant information, and recommend possible courses of action
- Innovative/entrepreneurial mindset that constantly looks for improvements that will impact PSE's ability to expand and advance its initiatives
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Technology skills in creating documents, databases, spreadsheets, and communication flow
- Ability to travel, as required
- Experience working directly with people from diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Familiarity with the social justice landscape in metro Atlanta and/or the Southeast
- Experience with energy, utilities, and/or Environmental Justice
- Examples of experience with mobilization (turn out) and social media/digital competencies
- Experience in non-partisan electoral work and experience with national issue campaigns is helpful
- Familiarity with PSE area of work and theory of change
- Knowledge of language other than English encouraged
- Reputation for integrity, ethical behavior, loyalty, and trustworthiness
- Leadership experience in a nonprofit environment is a plus
- Sense of humor
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Project Management - Develops project plans; Coordinates projects; Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget; Manages project team activities.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Frequently required to talk or hear
- Frequently required to utilize hand and finger dexterity
- Frequently required to stand, walk, and/or sit
- Occasionally required to climb, balance, bend, stoop, kneel or crawl
- While performing the duties of this job, the noise level in the work environment varies.