Director, Health and Safety
Director, Health and SafetyGraphic Packaging International
At Graphic Packaging International (NYSE: GPK), we produce the box you may have poured your ’s cereal from this morning, the microwaveable tray that heated your lunch, the paper cup that held your coffee throughout the day, and the carrier of those bottles of craft beer you may enjoy tonight! We’re one of the largest manufacturers of paperboard and paper-based packaging for some of the world’s most recognized brands of food, beverage, foodservice, household, personal care and pet care products. Headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, we are a team of collaborative, innovative, passionate individuals who are committed to providing consumer packaging that makes a world of difference.
With almost 19,000 employees working in more than 80 locations in North and South America, Europe and the Pacific Rim, we strive to be an environmentally responsible leader in our industry and in the communities where we operate. We are committed to workplace diversity and offer compensation and benefits programs that are among the industry’s best to reward the talented people who make our company successful.
If this sounds like something you would like to be a part of, we’d love to hear from you. Learn more about us at www.graphicpkg.com.
Inspired Packaging. A World of Difference
We offer compensation and benefit programs that are among the best in the industry. With competitive base salaries, 401(k) plans and benefits offerings, we strive to reward talented people who make our company successful.
MISSION / SUMMARY:
The Director, Health and Safety will work globally with site Safety and/or HS&E coordinators/managers, as well as Resident Managers, Plant Managers, Directors/VP/SVP of Operations to ensure appropriate safety processes are in place to comply with applicable regulations, effectively protect worker health and safety, and prevent injuries. Works closely with operations and Human Resource leaders, as well as corporate Continuous Improvement, Human Resource, Legal and Risk Management leaders to develop and implement strategies to achieve sustainable improvements in safety processes at all locations and reduce the frequency and severity of recordable and lost time injuries. Leads efforts to collect, analyze, and report safety incident and compliance/performance data and responsible for continually improving this process in order to support our objective of achieving sustainable reductions in the frequency and severity of all injuries. Works closely with the Vice President, HS&E to transfer learnings and best practices throughout the Company. Provides technical guidance and management oversight direction to corporate Regional HSE managers and assists Vice President, HS&E as requested in other Company health and safety matters.
JOB FUNCTIONS: Job functions include, but are not limited to the following.
- Develop/update/communicate health and safety vision for GPI. Ensure site leadership teams understand vision and are actively pursuing activities which support the vision and GPI’s safety value;
- Lead/coach/mentor key site leaders and corporate HSE managers to drive improvements in each site’s safety process. Assist senior management in ensuring an active safety process exists at each operating location, including holding key site leaders accountable for safety performance;
- Develop/update/improve/streamline health and safety policies, programs, systems and processes and lead effort to implement throughout the company. Ensure effective processes exist to track progress, identify and address shortcomings, and provide reporting updates for senior management;
- Establish and maintain close working relationships with operations leaders, as well as other corporate functions and senior management to ensure alignment on safety efforts throughout the Company;
- Maintain thorough understanding of health and safety regulations/requirements and recognized as the Company’s leading technical expert in this area. Stay abreast of changes to, or potential new, health and safety regulations/requirements. Provide updates to senior management as appropriate and provide clear, concise advice/direction when significant new regulations are promulgated;
- Strive to eliminate duplicative efforts in managing the health and safety function and seek solutions which increase the efficiency and effectiveness of site health and safety managers;
- Ensure processes are in place to appropriately transfer knowledge/successes across the Company;
- Seek and act on opportunities to expand the use of electronic tools (such as ESDMS) to manage, track and ensure key health and safety activities are completed in a timely manner;
- Review plans for new facilities or equipment, and modifications to existing ones, as requested, to ensure compliance with regulations;
- Assist Vice President of HS&E in managing/overseeing safety-related work activities for corporate HS&E Managers;
- Assist in completing special information requests from regulatory agencies and representing the Company in meeting with regulatory agencies;
- Respond to requests by operations personnel for information or other assistance on specific health and safety matters. Review compliance procedures, regulatory reports, training programs, etc. and assist in improving/revising documentation as well as provide training; and
- Conduct and or manage periodic safety compliance, safety process, and other on-site safety evaluations/reviews/audits. Assist/lead in developing and tracking corrective actions. Ensure progress is communicated and activities are completed in a timely manner.
The above job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
BACKGROUND / EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, public health, safety or other related field. Certified Safety Professional (CSP) certification preferred.
- Experience: Min. of 10 years operations management.
- Experience: Min. of 3 years or leadership experience. Responsibility for global and multiple locations preferred;
- Excellent communications skills (both verbal and written);
EDUCATION / KNOWLEDGE:
- Four-year college degree in related field required
- P&S SAP GA1 supply planning scheduling functionality knowledge preferred
- Cross Functional Supply Chain knowledge preferred
- Computer literacy in Microsoft tools (Word, Excel, Power Point, etc)
- Operating Skills
Priority Setting: Spends his/her time and the time of others on what’s important; quickly zeros in on the critical few and puts the trivial many aside; can quickly sense what will help or hinder accomplishing a goals; eliminates roadblocks; creates focus
Organizing: Can marshal resources (people, funding, material, support) to get things done; can orchestrate multiple activities at once to accomplish a goal; uses resources effectively and efficiently; arranges information and files in a useful manner.
Conflict Management: Steps up to conflicts; seeing them as opportunities; reads situations quickly; good at focused listening; can hammer out tough agreements and settle disputes equitably; can find common ground and get corporation within minimum noise.
- Energy and Drive
Action Oriented: Enjoys working hard; is action oriented and full of energy for the things he/she sees as challenging; not fearful of acting with a minimum of planning; seizes more opportunities than others.
Drive for Results: Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully; is constantly and consistently one of the top performers; very bottom-line oriented; steadfastly pushes self and others for results.
- Organizational Positioning
Organizational Agility: Knowledgeable about how organizations work; knows how to get things done both through formal channels and the informal network; understands the origin and reasoning behind key policies, practices, and procedures; understands the cultures of organizations.
- Personal and Interpersonal Skills
Composure: Is cool under pressure; does not become defensive or irritated when times are tough; is considered mature; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress; is not knocked off balance by the unexpected; doesn’t show frustration when resisted or blocked; is a settling influence in a crisis.
Building Effective Teams: Blends people into teams when needed; creates strong morale and spirit in his/her team; shares wins and successes; fosters open dialogue; lets people finish and be responsible for their work; defines success in terms of the whole team; creates a feeling of belonging in the team.
Managing Vision and Purpose: Communicates a compelling and inspired vision or sense of core purpose; talks beyond today; talks about possibilities; is optimistic; creates mileposts and symbols to really support behind the vision; makes the vision sharable by everyone; can inspire and motivate entire units or organizations.
- Excellent communications skills (both verbal and written)
- General schedule is an 8-hour M-F assignment, however, employee must be willing to work alternate schedules occasionally; that may include early mornings, nights, and/or weekends and be punctual while doing so.
- Availability to travel 50 – 75%;
- Sitting or standing for extended periods of time up to 8-hours.
- Occasional Lifting up to 20 lbs.
- Reading computer screen or other electronic devices.
- Use of various office hand and electrical tools or equipment.
- Ability to work safely in the manufacturing environment, including working with industrial chemicals and manufacturing machines.
GRAPHIC PACKAGING INTERNATIONAL, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All candidates will be evaluated on the basis of their qualifications for the job in question. We do not base our employment decision on an employee's or applicant's race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, citizenship, handicap, or disability, marital status, veteran status or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law. Click here to view the EEO is the Law Poster.
At Graphic Packaging International (NYSE: GPK), we produce the box you may have poured your 's cereal from this morning, the microwaveable tray that heated your lunch, the paper cup that held your coffee throughout the day, and the carrier of those bottles of craft beer you may enjoy tonight! We're one of the largest manufacturers of paperboard and paper-based packaging for some of the world's most recognized brands of food, beverage, foodservice, household, personal care and pet care products. Headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, we are a team of collaborative, innovative, passionate individuals who are committed to providing consumer packaging that makes a world of difference.
With almost 18,000 employees working in more than 70 locations in North and South America, Europe and the Pacific Rim, we strive to be an environmentally responsible leader in our industry and in the communities where we operate. We are committed to workplace diversity and offer compensation and benefits programs that are among the industry's best to reward the talented people who make our company successful.
If this sounds like something you would like to be a part of, we'd love to hear from you. Learn more about us at www.graphicpkg.com.
Inspired Packaging. A World of Difference.
Graphic Packaging is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All candidates will be evaluated on the basis of their qualifications for the job in question. We do not base our employment decision on an employee's or applicant's race, color, religion, age, gender or sex (including pregnancy), national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic identity, genetic information, disability, veteran/military status or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law. Click here to view the EEO is the Law Poster.