Senior Staff Accountant
Senior Staff AccountantCommon
Common is the nation's leading residential brand and operating platform that designs, leases, and manages multifamily properties that appeal to today's renters. Through smart design and tech-enabled property management, Common delivers exceptional experiences to thousands of residents in coliving, microunit, and traditional apartments in cities from coast to coast. Founded in October 2015, we are the preferred choice for renters looking for a stress-free apartment from a trusted brand, and for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns.
We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, member service representatives, and so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, and embrace a "whatever it takes" mentality to ensure our work is done and done well. Common sits squarely at the intersection between technology and real estate, working every day to build quality residential solutions that bring positive change to the world's rental housing crisis.
It's an exciting time to be part of Common's team. With over 17,500 units signed and under development and over $110 million in global venture capital investment, Common is expanding its reliable, renter-first property operations to 26 cities across the world.
To follow the latest Common news, get to know our community of residents, and learn about what it's like to work at Common, you can follow us on Instagram, Linkedin, and Twitter. To see more open roles and hear from Common employees check out our Careers Page.
About the Role
Common is seeking a Senior Staff Accountant to join our growing Corporate Accounting team. This is a unique opportunity to help build out the processes and procedures that will ultimately shape the Accounting function at Common. The ideal candidate is detail-oriented, extremely knowledgeable in GAAP, and has experience working in accounting at a startup. This role will report to the Corporate Accounting Manager.
- Prepare journal entries of transactions, including recording and reconciling payroll
- Reconcile balance sheet accounts to verify the accurate reporting of transactions
- Prepare and post monthly accrued and prepaid expenses
- Review and post Corporate allocations and department chargebacks
- Manage the addition, disposal, and depreciation of corporate fixed assets
- Maintain ownership over the accounting and reporting for Common's Master Lease properties
- Support the annual financial statement audit by preparing workpapers and providing auditor support
- Work with third party tax preparers to file and pay local, state and federal taxes (including the preparation and filing of Sales and Use Tax and Commercial Rent Tax in NY)
- BS Degree in Accounting
- 4+ years of relevant experience
- Comprehensive understanding of GAAP
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office (Excel, Word, and Powerpoint)
- Auditing experience a plus
- Big 4 public accounting experience a plus
- Netsuite experience a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Effective organizational, stress and time management skills
- Possess a strong sense of urgency and ability to meet deadlines
- Work well under pressure in a fast-paced, ever-changing work environment
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees and wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy and professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable and valuable health and wellness benefits for our employees such as:
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- FSA + HSA options
- Company-paid life insurance
- Company-paid STD/LTD
- Paid parental leave
- 401k plans
Additional benefits such as equity, paid holidays, commuter transit benefits, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees' needs are being met.
Common is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.
Notice of Collection of Personal Information of California Employees and Applicants