Air Freight Product Manager- Remote
Air Freight Product Manager- RemoteAscent Global Logistics
The primary responsibility of the Air Freight Product Manager will be to help AF Product Director lead our Global Air Freight Product efforts including Procurement, Capacity Management and Performance Management to drive new revenue and support the company’s strategic plans. The Air Freight Product Manager will be responsible for and develop partner and carrier relationships to ensure best possible service level, rate and transit time. Position requires excellent communication, interpersonal, organizational and presentation skills, combined with strong negotiation and influencing skills.
- Further develop our air freight product, including trade lane management, procurement strategies, opening new markets, carrier relations and performance management
- Conduct air freight market analysis to seize opportunities and stay up to date with market developments (including customer analysis).
- Attend customer meetings when necessary to support the sales team and drive growth
- Create a business plan to strategically grow a network of partners and carriers to achieve and exceed targets and help close potential business
- Resolve issues with partner and carriers.
- Have a solid understanding of top 10 air freight customers and collaborate with leadership team to ensure customer needs are met
- Proactively provide pricing alternatives and routing solutions to clients
- Identify, formulate and develop key trade lanes
- Implement a strategy for business development to maintain profitable air freight
- Ensure compliance with International and U.S. laws related to air freight regulations
- Respond to requests for proposals and quotes timely with market competitive pricing
- Work with partners and carrier representatives - both in the US and internationally - to minimize costs through effective procurement, cargo mixing and prioritizing sales opportunities accordingly.
- Develop and maintain air freight sales tools for use in promoting targeting trade lanes including route plans, transit times, suggested sell rates and comprehensive database of origin and destination charges.
- Create visibility of all rates and ensure timely and effective air freight pricing for large and medium size customers
- Collaborate with pricing/trade team to ensure timely and effective air freight pricing
- Drive best practices for process management
- Identify, lead, train and develop up-and-coming talent to meet overall air freight strategic goals.
- Other tasks and responsibilities as directed by AF Product Director.
Receives guidance for overall objectives; work within company and department policies and guidelines using independent judgment to achieve assigned objectives.
Licensure, Registration, and/or Certification Required
Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from a four-year college or university
- Proven sales experience: Work with sales team & clients to grow AF product line.
- Airfreight product experience: Minimum 2 years
- Proven AF solution design & quoting ability
- Ability to identify, evaluate and negotiate solutions with carriers and overseas partners
- Cargowise experience preferred
- Strong understanding of applicable laws, regulations and other government requirements
- Ability to evaluate and negotiate service contracts, incentive programs and capacity management for air freight
- In depth knowledge of the global air freight industry
Management Experience Required
- Experience in the creation of strategic planning initiatives
- Previous experience managing an air freight team and/or program
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities Required
Language Skills: Relies on written and verbal communication. Able to read, analyze and interpret financial reports, industry journals and legal documents. Able to respond to verbal and written inquiries or complaints from customers. Able to effectively present information to customers, prospects, top management, and public groups. Communicates internally with all departments at the corporate office, with other terminals, third party agencies, customers and prospects.
Office Skills: Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Microsoft Teams, CargoWise
Mathematical Skills: Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference.
Specific Skills: Involves a high degree of responsibility for working with, safeguarding and controlling highly restricted information, knowledge or important confidences and criterion-related to research and development of customer data, future plans, policies, business prospects, finances, etc. the release of which could have a detrimental effect and impact on the company’s affairs or undermine its competitive position. Must be self-motivated, able to maintain confidentiality, honest, friendly, punctual, and organized, have a positive attitude and be able to work unsupervised.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and projects. Solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions in written, oral, diagram or schedule form Prioritize, organize and delegate assignments.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
Physical Demands: Light physical activity performing non-strenuous daily activities of an administrative nature. Must be willing to travel both internationally and domestically.
Disclaimer: This job description indicates in a general way the nature and levels of work, knowledge, skills, abilities, and other essential functions; however, the job description isn’t designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities an incumbent may be asked to perform.
Job Type: Full-time